Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ok ladies and gents, before I get into what I wanna talk about I want to say something. I have this annoying reaction to cold. When I'm cold I have the tendency to fall asleep no matter how hard I fight. So it is usually cold in my work area, so I have to fight everyday not fall asleep. So I was reading an article, then I realized an hour later I was still at the beginning....because I feel asleep in my chair. They got to fix this ac cuz I dont know what im gonna do for the rest of the summer.

Now, so i finished the article "ICARE: A Component-Based Approach for the Design
and Development of Multimodal Interfaces" and it was a complete waste of time. This article is about a software, ICARE, that enables the user to build an application to build specifically tuned applications of multimodal interfaces. Multimodal refers to multiple input devices pertaining to the humans senses (i.e. sight, hear, speak, etc.). One good thing that came out this paper is that it sights an example on a future work of a application using a multimodal interface, a Rafale. A Rafale is a French military plane. Using a mulitmodal command, the pilot could possibly say "mark" and use his eye to point directly at the target of interest. That itself could prove useful in skethching in 3D with the not only the aid of eye-tracking devices. Since we have the vibrating glove, the SketchIR pen, and the eye-tracking device, I could, for example, change the color of I am drawing in but activating a sensor on the glove by pressing thumb onto my hand, look directly at the color of interest in a virtual "color map" and use the pen to finish the task. Pretty cool idea. So I guess this paper wasnt a waste of time.

I already have a question of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment